New position opening
Job title: First Mate
Reporting to: Captain Sarah Parry
Salary: This position is governed by the Marine Tourism and Charter Vessels Award, and pays above award salary, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Hours: This is a full-time position that includes normal 5-day weeks when in port, and a standard watch system while at sea.
Location: This is a non-liveaboard position that is Hobart-based, and includes regular sea-going voyages throughout the year. Applicants must be willing and able to reside in the Hobart region, and participate in all voyages.
Purpose of the position: The First Mate’s role exists to provide structure to the Trust’s shipboard programming both in port and at sea; supervision and support to trainees, volunteers, and staff crew; and oversight of the ship’s maintenance program under the guidance and direction of the Master.
- Master <24 M up to 200 NM (Master <35 and/or STCW ’95 a bonus)*
- MED III (MED II a bonus)*
- MROCP (Satellite endorsement and GMDSS a bonus)
Minimum skills & experience:
- “Fore and aft” and “Square rig” experience as a watch-keeper or Master to endorsement level
- Previous experience in the role of First Mate
- Proven experience working with young people
- Basic computer skills
Other minimum requirements:
- Average weight for height**
- Able to comfortably lift own weight**
- Able to work at heights
- Non-smoker, non-drug user**
- Current Australian Driver’s License
- AMSA Medical or ability to acquire
- Working with Children Registration or ability to acquire
- Australian permanent residency or citizenship
*Must be Australian national certificates
**The Windeward Bound Trust holds anti-discrimination exemption number 03/069
- Full-time position with award benefits and above-award salary
- Professional training and development opportunities
- Career advancement opportunities, e.g. progression to relief Master and beyond
- Guaranteed significant open sea time hours
- Family flexibility
- Waterfront parking permit
- Making a difference in the community with one of the ships in Australia actively focusing on youth development voyages
- Small charity where you can make a real impact
- Unique position combining seamanship, programmed maintenance, education, and contribution to voyage and volunteer program development.
Advertised: Monday 14 September 2015
Applications closing: Monday 12 October 2015